About Me

My photo
I support people on their journey to wellness through nutrition and lifestyle coaching! I am passionate about teaching people how lifestyle choices can be fun, inspiring and positively affect all aspects of their lives. I love guiding people to wellness one meal at a time!! I am also a passionate mama, a yogi and I love to cook!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Heart Healthy Tuna Salad

At work today one of the beautiful ladies that I work with, Antonella, gave me a great idea to “health up” tuna salad! Being a nutritionist, I got really excited. I know I am a nutrition geek, but I can’t help it.

When I got home this evening I just had to try it!! So here it is…
  • 1 can of water packed light flaked (less murcury than white) tuna (170g)
  • ½ a fresh avocado, instead of mayo...Brilliant!! (sprinkle some lemon juice on the second ½ and save it for the next day or so)
  • ½ juice of 1 lemon
  • A big handful of fresh herbs (I used cilantro because I love it)
  • Other options include; chopped onions, celery, bell pepper, add a dash of hot sauce, etc.
Mix this together in a medium size dish and enjoy!!

Serving options:
  • Serve over some whole grain toast (try Stonemill or Ezekiel; both great bread companies)
  • Or a healthy whole grain wrap (Food for Life or La Tortilla Factory are great)
  • For a lighter option; enjoy on a piece of lettuce or Belgium endive or top on a salad!


NUTRITION NOTE
Avocados are a rich source of monounsaturated fatty acids (heart healthy fat) including oleic acid, which has recently been shown to offer significant protection against breast cancer. It is also a very concentrated dietary source of the phytonutrient lutein and contains measurable amounts of related phytonutrients (zeaxanthin, alpha-carotene and beta-carotene) plus significant quantities of vitamin E.



Thanks for the inspiration Antonella :D

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I must try it soon. Thanks for sharing and to Antonella for the inspiration. ;-)

    ReplyDelete