About Me

My photo
I support people on their journey to wellness through nutrition and lifestyle coaching! I am passionate about teaching people how lifestyle choices can be fun, inspiring and positively affect all aspects of their lives. I love guiding people to wellness one meal at a time!! I am also a passionate mama, a yogi and I love to cook!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

PICKING SWISS CHARD IN MY BACKYARD!

It is becoming more and more understood that it is highly important to eat local foods as much as possible, for the health of our bodies and the health of our planet. I live in Stouffville and am blessed with a bunch of local farmers markets to choose from in the spring to the fall and I take advantage of it as much as possible. Not only is it better for my body, the fresh stuff tastes better too!

Could there be anything better than shopping at your local farmers market?? The answer is YES! Growing veggies in your own backyard and harvesting right before eating! It is not only great for your health but is also the most economical way of eating veggies!! And trust me, I am not one of those people born with a green thumb. I just pick the veggies that are fairly easy to grow. This year I have a variety of herbs (mint, cilantro, parsley, basil, sage and oregano), tomatoes and swiss chard! 
If you have never done it before, I highly recommend you try it sometime. It really is fun to watch the veggies grow!

Swiss chard is growing nicely in my backyard as I write this blog post! The other night was the first time I harvested some to enjoy! It is such a pleasure to go into your own backyard and harvest your dinner right before you are ready to eat. It is amazing the difference in the taste and texture of the food.

Swiss chard is a powerhouse food when it comes to nutrition. Here are some of the highlights of this leafy green

Fiber – one cup of chard provides about 14% of your daily dose of fiber, helping to keep those bowels moving!!

Vitamin K – most people are unaware of the importance of vitamin K for bone health. Chard is an excellent source of vitamin k. Green up with Swiss chard and your bones will thank you!

Magnesium – another key nutrient for the health of your bones. Magnesium is also essential for over 300 enzymatic functions in the body. It is the 2nd most abundant mineral, next to calcium. It is need for absorption of calcium into the bones.

Vitamin C, beta carotene, vitamin E, B vitamins, iron and potassium are also found in chard making it a true hero when it comes to food!!

Here are some serving ideas

• Chop finely and add to your favourite salad mix!
• Add a handful to your morning smoothie (it will change the color but not the taste)
• Sauté with some olive oil + garlic + onions and tamari
• Chop and add to your omelette's or favourite stir-fry recipe
• Use instead of lettuce on your sandwich or favourite homemade burger

Here is a link to my favourite farmers market located by my home in Stouffville, Ontario!

No comments:

Post a Comment