About Me

My photo
I support people on their journey to wellness through nutrition and lifestyle coaching! I am passionate about teaching people how lifestyle choices can be fun, inspiring and positively affect all aspects of their lives. I love guiding people to wellness one meal at a time!! I am also a passionate mama, a yogi and I love to cook!

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sardine Loving Savory Pancakes

Well, for those who know me well, you might be surprised to see the words sardine and love in the title of this post. I am actually surprised to see those two words so chummy up there too.
I have never been a sardine lover, heck I have never liked sardines at all. I find them smelly and fishy tasting.....and not in a good way.
About a month ago I came across a post on the lovely Meghan Telpner's blog about sardines. She described her sardine fritters as "perfecto mondo". And the picture she had of them on the post made them look so amazing.
Understanding the amazing health benefits of these little fish (as I am a nutritionist, who can sometimes be a bit obsessed with understanding how foods impact our health), I have always wanted to find a way to eat these nutrient and protein packed fish but the few times I have opened a can and tried to eat them on there own, I ended up throwing them out.
So since I saw Meghan's post I have had it in the back of my head that I should at least try it. Everything else that I have made from her blog has been amazing, so maybe she has found the perfect way to get them down.
Well, today was the day my friends! I drove up to my cottage this morning for the night and decided to make them for lunch today. And they were amazing! I enjoyed them with a large mixed greens salad and a dollop of hummus. Mmmmmm mmmmm good! I added my own herbs and spices to it so it had my own flare to it but the basic recipe came from Meghans blog.
Before I share my take on her recipe, here are a few of the nutritional highlights of these superstar mini fish;
  • One of the richest source of heart healthy omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3's are the essential kind of fat that we need to get through diet. Needed for the health of the brain, heart, skin and hair, to name a few.
  • B12! Important for the health of our nervous system and is also a critical nutrient for red blood cell production.
  • The media superstar Vitamin D. Who doesn't know about the health benefits of this vitamin now a days?? Even people who pay no interest in natural health or supplements are taking Vitamin D. Health Canada suggests that we all take at least 1000iu's per day. Why you ask?  Well here are a few of the highlights of this sunshine vitamin; Vitamin D is critical for bone health (needed to absorb calcium), cancer prevention, helps support optimal blood sugar metabolism, and can help support mood. Well sardines are one of the few food sources of Vitamin D.
  • Lean protein - 21grams, per 100 gram serving. Protein is the building blocks of your cells and helps support blood sugar levels. Keeping our energy levels consistent and waist lines down!
  • Selenium is another nutrient in sardines that is critical for a healthy immune system and aids in cancer prevention
Here is the recipe!


Savory Sardine Pancakes
1 can of sardines packed in water
1/2 juice of 1 lemon
1 sweet potato, steamed and mashed with 1/2 cup water
1 egg
1/4 cup of finely chopped onions
2 cloves of garlic, chopped as finely as possible into a paste
2 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 cup of chickpea flour
1 tsp baking powder
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 large handful of cilantro, chopped
Peel and steam sweet potato until soft. Place in food processor and pulse with water until smooth.
Crack out the can of sardines and drain. Place in a bowl and mash with lemon juice. 
Then add egg, onions, garlic, olive oil and sweet potato mixture and mix together.
In a separate bowl, mix chickpea flour and baking powder.
Combine wet and dry ingredients together. Add cilantro or any other herb.
Heat a fry pan to medium heat. Add some olive oil and fry these babies up like a pancake for a few minutes on each side.
Enjoy with a fresh salad or steamed veggies and some hummus on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment